Jappleng Logo
Unleash the Full Experience – Login or Register Now!
Join us and get access to:
  • Anime/Manga Lineups & Tracker
  • Japanese Culture Lessons
  • Forums, Social Network & Chat
  • Clubs & Study Groups
  • Vocabulary Builder & Daily Login Rewards
  • Friend Finder & Pen-Pals
  • Games & Digital Pets (Yokai)
  • And much more!
Let's get you started – Register a Free Account!
Type this in the box below:
I am 13 years old or over and have read and agreed to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Complete Registration
Thank you for your support!
Announcement
March 14 - Daily Login Rewards: 10k + 10k Event! Thank you everyone!
[Read More]
Username
Password
Cancel
Login
Progress
Market
Friends
Night and Day
Settings
Your Avatar
J-Spot Social Network
Fanclubs & Study Groups
Find New Friends / Pen-Pal
J-Coins
Tokens
Coins
Mochi
Lv.
--:--
Guest // Guest
Available
Want2Chat
Away
Busy / DND
Invisible
Jump to Section
JPLearn!
Japan Life!
Jappleng Dictionary
Connect With Others
IMChat!
Forum Society
JSpot Social Network
Club Jappleng
Friend Match
Have Fun!
Arcades
Sticker Collection
Market Unlock
Achievements
Notifications
View All [+]
Fetching list...
Calendar
Add Entry [+]
<<May 2024>>
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Your Avatar
--:--
XP 0 / 50
Friends
Now loading...
Must be logged-in to use this
Settings
Personalization and settings
Arrow
Achievements
Win More Achievements!
Arrow
My Stats
View My Stats
Arrow
Login
Register or Login Here!
Arrow
Image Title
Image Description
Submit
Your image was succesfully uploaded and now we ask that you provide both an image title and description since this will be indexed in your gallery and/or the club this is posted in. Ignoring this step will cancel the upload process. If you delete the image from the editor, it will still remain in your image gallery.
DO YOU SUPPORT THE TREES - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
DO YOU SUPPORT THE TREES - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Cover image
Loading Content...
Close
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
DO YOU SUPPORT THE TREES
(This is the thread's starting post)
cherry
721 🗊
50 🖒
View Card
cherryDark Heart DO YOU SUPPORT THE TREES
//cherry
Posted 259 days ago... Menu Button

I AM THE LORAX AND I SPEAK FOR THE TREES

I'm also going to college now (literally tomorrow) and I'm terrified do y'all got any advice

OG Jappleng
3,411 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart
//Ogjappleng

I don't get the title but here's a few pieces of advice for college.

1. Don't bother with people who want you to be an activist. Just go there to study and focus on learning and making connections. You're not being paid to listen to other people complaining about something or doing things about it. You are free to volunteer and I encourage you to do so, but college isn't the place to be protesting about things.

2. College is mainly good for getting your foot in the door. Unless your path is in medicine / law / etc… You can learn whatever is in school on your own. But college is the place to kickstart your career and where the value really comes into play. Make-those-connections! Mingle, network, do-the-thing!

3. If you're paying for college (or your parents) then think very carefully on what you want to do, or else you'll be in debt for the rest of your life. Pick a path that will most likely be in demand by the time you are done college. Don't pick something stupid like anthropology, (blank) studies or art. It should be in demand, if you want you can always pick business as your primary and use electives for your passion for example. That way you can start a business with your passion if there market is unique. IT is the way to go for now if you can.

4. Don't go for electives as first thing because you want to “think about it”. Rather, go straight to the courses you NEED. You don't know what courses you can't enroll in and it might delay you by a semester or two or more.

5. Learn how to learn on your own. This is college, teachers aren't going to hand-hold you, there are possibly 300 other students in some of your classes. Your existence may not even be known by your teacher. So it's up to you to self-study and find others to study in a group. You're not alone in this struggle.

6. The classes can be easy depending on your mindset. If you're passionate about it, then you'll absorb everything. But if you don't like it or aren't passionate, then it'll take longer and your grades will reflect that. Try to find an angle on how you can approach each class in such a way that you can be passionate about it, even if you hate it at first.

7. Don't forget about your health. You need time to relax, stay fit and work on yourself. This means you'll start entering a time of greater stress in your life. High school is a joke compared to college. It's a very steep hill that you have to climb but as you climb you get stronger and better at it. So learning how to manage your health both mental and physical is going to take some time. They don't teach you this in school but meditation is life's cheat code. You'll learn everything about yourself through it, it's wild. If you want to dial it further you can learn self-hypnosis and trance yourself into a motivated student with zero stress.

8. You don't have to graduate to get far in your career, if you get that golden ticket you can take it before graduating just as long as you're not joining a startup. Do not join startups. It's a terrible idea and almost all of them fail. You can take classes on the side if you want to complete your degree though. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

9. Be organized. I don't think there's any level or organization that is ever enough. You will have some chaos in your organization but it'll be organized chaos.

10. Ignore what other people are saying / doing / accomplishing. You do what you need to do. You can compete in things but don't let what other people do distract you from your goals. You have them for a reason so follow through with it.

11. You're still at the stage in life where emotion outweighs logic. It's brutal to say but that means if you want to be ahead of the competition, you will need to sit down and be reasonable with your choices. That's why I said earlier, don't go for an art degree because you may be passionate about it (emotion), go for what's going to be in demand by the time you graduate. Having to set aside ego and say my passion is this but it's not something that will make going to college worthwhile, is an incredible skill to have. You can still strive for your passion, but you have to approach it differently.

12. Everyone pursuing the same degree as you are rivals. This means that they might be looking into creative ways to get their foot in the door while studying, it's up to you to find ways as well so you beat them to the “dream job” that you're aiming for.

13. It's okay to cry.

There you have it! I don't think I can think of anything else that may act as advise. You can try reading “Make It Stick The Science of Successful Learning” by Peter C. Brown and see if it helps you learn on your own. College shouldn't really be any more difficult than what you've been through before, however there is a lot more homework and memorization which will make it hell. So you took 6 months to write a book essay in high school, that's cute… College is 2 days and you have to write that essay on top of other things you have to do. That's the hard part about it. It's just so much stuff to do. So when you pick your courses, try to anticipate the horrors that you may be invovled in. For example, if you have to take history of any kind, expect a lot of memorization. Will it be compatible with your other classes? Of course, you might not have that luxury and when that happens, I wish you well because college really is hell.

Have fun!

OG Jappleng
3,411 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart
//Ogjappleng

PS. Don't let my previous post discourage you and think that college is nothing but pain. There is a lot of fun to be had. Buuut you have to be careful with your choices otherwise it will bring pain for a whole semester lool

cherry
721 🗊
50 🖒
View Card
cherryDark Heart
//cherry
Posted 258 days ago... Menu Button

That is a lot of advice! Thank you! 

(The title wasn't supposed to make any sense, I just didn't know what to put in LMAO)

NotMeLmao
390 🗊
92 🖒
View Card
NotMeLmaoAnime Edge
//ROKINAXTREME
Posted 257 days ago... Menu Button

YES I DO SUPPORT THE TREES!

And if you want, there's a youtube channel called “Gohar Khan”, and he has a bunch of tips for college.

r2dpoo
19 🗊
21 🖒
View Card
r2dpoo
//r2dpoo
Posted 256 days ago... Menu Button

Trees are nice. So is crying. I agree, find a comfy spot, lay down, cry a lot.

cherry
721 🗊
50 🖒
View Card
cherryDark Heart
//cherry
Posted 254 days ago... Menu Button

Thank you so much for supporting the trees and for the advice!

ALWAYS SUPPORT THE TREES OR ELSE

Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Use the form below to reply this thread
//Guest
Characters: 0 / 60,000