Jappleng Logo
Unleash the Full Experience – Login or Register Now!
Join us and get access to:
  • Anime/Manga Lineups & Tracker
  • Japanese Culture Lessons
  • Forums, Social Network & Chat
  • Clubs & Study Groups
  • Vocabulary Builder & Daily Login Rewards
  • Friend Finder & Pen-Pals
  • Games & Digital Pets (Yokai)
  • And much more!
Let's get you started – Register a Free Account!
Type this in the box below:
I am 13 years old or over and have read and agreed to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Complete Registration
Thank you for your support!
Announcement
March 14 - Daily Login Rewards: 10k + 10k Event! Thank you everyone!
[Read More]
Username
Password
Cancel
Login
Progress
Market
Friends
Night and Day
Settings
Your Avatar
J-Spot Social Network
Fanclubs & Study Groups
Find New Friends / Pen-Pal
J-Coins
Tokens
Coins
Mochi
Lv.
--:--
Guest // Guest
Available
Want2Chat
Away
Busy / DND
Invisible
Jump to Section
JPLearn!
Japan Life!
Jappleng Dictionary
Connect With Others
IMChat!
Forum Society
JSpot Social Network
Club Jappleng
Friend Match
Have Fun!
Arcades
Sticker Collection
Market Unlock
Achievements
Notifications
View All [+]
Fetching list...
Calendar
Add Entry [+]
<<May 2024>>
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Your Avatar
--:--
XP 0 / 50
Friends
Now loading...
Must be logged-in to use this
Settings
Personalization and settings
Arrow
Achievements
Win More Achievements!
Arrow
My Stats
View My Stats
Arrow
Login
Register or Login Here!
Arrow
Image Title
Image Description
Submit
Your image was succesfully uploaded and now we ask that you provide both an image title and description since this will be indexed in your gallery and/or the club this is posted in. Ignoring this step will cancel the upload process. If you delete the image from the editor, it will still remain in your image gallery.
Buying something in Japan (With Illustrations) and taxes - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Buying something in Japan (With Illustrations) and taxes - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Cover image
Loading Content...
Close
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Buying something in Japan (With Illustrations) and taxes
(This is the thread's starting post)
OG Jappleng
3,418 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart Buying something in Japan (With Illustrations) and taxes
//Ogjappleng
Posted 2921 days ago... Menu Button
So you want to go to Japan but you worry you'll never figure out the whole buying scheme because you don't have time to study enough of it or you're just curious to know what it's like. Just like anywhere around the world, you'll be using money (mostly) to buy things but quite a bit of places particularly like Tokyo, debit and credit is accepted with open arms but cash is still preferred in most places.[br][br]Ideally you should talk to your bank or a credit card provider to give you a credit or debit card that can be used internationally without fees. Try not to get too much Japanese currency outside of Japan, the fees are significantly higher importing the currency to your native country than it is to get it from Japan, but it doesn't hurt to have a hundred bucks worth of it.[br][br]So now you're in Japan and you want to buy something but everything seems to be written in big bold letters with a tiny kanji or two next to it that makes no sense to you. Perhaps this is how much it costs? It's got to be! But just to be sure, you can ask the clerk one simple question while pointing at what you want.[br][br]"Ikura desu ka?"[br][br]This means "How much is it?" The clerk should be able to answer you with the amount like 200 yen or 500 yen etc...  Although this should be used as a last resort when there's no obvious price because I'm about to teach you something that will be really beneficial.[br][br][img]https://www.jappleng.com/application/assets/jspot/images/hd/buying-somethin-9403b681e4254974.png[/img][br][br]The number in green is how much it costs.[br]The kanji in orange means in what currency, in most cases this should be 円(Yen)[br]Next to it there's a plus symbol, this just means the same in English. Don't confuse it with 十 (juu / ten)[br]After that to the right of it, there's yet another kanji, 税 (zei) means tax.[br][br]A lot of times you won't even see 税 appear next to the item, in fact you'll often just see something like 200円[br][br]Another thing to keep in mind is that Yen is pronunced more closely to "en" than "yen".[br][br][b]Now let's recap in a scenario...[/b][br][br]You enter a store, the store clerk will say something like "Irasshaimase" which is basically a formal greeting to welcome you in their store, and then you browse around...[br][br]Then you notice something that catches your fancy but you're not sure what it may be... So you say "kore wa nan desu ka?" which translates to "what is this?"[br][br]The store clerk responds by saying "Sore wa enpitsu desu" (That is a pencil) and in the back of their mind they think you're the dumbest foreigner for not knowing what a pencil is.[br][br]So in big bold letters it tells you how much it is but you neglect to acknowledge this so you proceed to ask how much it is and say "Ikura desu ka?"[br][br]The store clerk replies in the most courteous manner as they can without strangling you "100 yen desu"[br][br]You respond with Takai! (that's expensive!) and leave. Okay, I'm kidding, you POLITELY either say you'll buy it by saying "Kore wo kudasai" (I'll take that one please) or something like kangaemasu (I'll think about it).[br][br][b]What if you want to order food?[/b][br]Ordering food in Japan is a bit different. I'm sure you may have seen those wax food displays before, they are basically what you can order but immortalized in a wax sculpture. You can't order the wax sculpture but you can order what they represent like ramen or something (I tried, they laughed and thought I was kidding but I was serious because those things are impressively realistic).[br][br]So now you want to order, what do you do? Well it depends on the store... Some places have a machine that you poke around to confirm your order, some places require you to order by word of mouth, and sometimes there will be a conveyor belt that roams around the tables with food on it (usually sushi). In the event it's a conveyor sushi, they may allow you to either pick any plates that aren't specially tagged for a table or you may have to place your order and wait for it to come around. Either way, it's a cool experience and you have to try it! Just umm... Avoid the slimy things that could be a sea urchin.[br][br]You get full at eating at the sushi conveyor but you want to eat some place else and this other place requires you to talk to people like at a Mc Donalds, because you always wanted to try a Big Mac with mayo or whatever strange contraption they're selling during that season that exists only in Japan. [br][br]Obviously they will greet you with their standard greeting いらっしゃいませ! (You should know this by now) or so you think... Actually, what they actually said was Otsugi no kata douzo which totally caught you off-guard and by surprise and now you're frozen in fear not knowing what to do or how to reply. This is the gaijin-oh-crap moment where there's no way around it other than hopefully being prepared or improvising what to do next.[br][br]But thanks to Jappleng, you knew what it meant because as you reflect back to this forum post you remembered that otsugi no kata douzo means "Next please!" and you move on forward to the person calling you. Cha-cha! You're there and ready to order...[br][br]So now the clerk will say something around the lines of "tennai de omeshiagari desu ka?" or maybe "kochira de omeshiagari desu ka?" and again, you know what these mean because you were well prepared! Both of these translates to whether you're eating in or out and you'll respond accordingly.[br][br]- koko de tabemasu (I'll eat here)[br]- Mochikaeri de (To go please)[br][br]There are of course so many different scenarios that we can go through but we'll just keep it at that since this isn't a formal lesson or anything. So for the sake of simplicity that's what they said and that's what you said.[br][br]Now you have to order in Japanese but you know NOTHING about Japanese counters and unfortunately this won't help you at all because you are well, screwed. There's no other way to say this so unless you know how to properly count in Japanese, you're going to embarrass yourself at this step but don't worry! Stupid gaijins are still respected in Japan no matter how little they know because they are trying![br][br]So you don't know how to count but you can at least weasel your way into pretending that you do, at least enough to get your message across. Use the basic Japanese counter system that you most probably already know. 1 = hitotsu, 2 = futatsu, 3 = mittsu, 4 = yottsu, 5 = itsutsu.[br][br]To say the word burger in Japanese it'll either be chiizu bagaa or bagaa and to order it just say chiizu bagaa hitotsu. If you want fries with that and I'm sure they'll ask you if you want them but for the sake of beating them to the punch you can use the word "to" which is the equivalent to "and" in english.  chiizu bagaa hitotsu to furai hitotsu. If you want to be really polite you can even add onegai shimasu at the end of it. You could even use poteto instead of furai if you prefer.[br][br]They may repeat it to you for clarification, if it's correct you can say "hai" for yes. [br][br]Then they may think that you want a combo because a cheese burger and fries is best eaten with a drink so they'll probably ask you if you want to upgrade to a combo "setto ni saremasu ka?"[br][br]You can say yes "hai" or no "iie" but saying no in Japan is frowned upon and you probably shouldn't ever do it. When you say no, you have to explain why you say no to be polite. But you have the gaijin card to help you with your limited Japanese so saying iie is okay I suppose. They'll have to get used to it for the 2020 olympics anyway haha! But if you want to be polite you could say "setto de" which just means a single item instead of a combo or iie, kekkou desu which means "no thanks"[br][br]The inevitable question that can often be difficult to answer is what you want to drink. Just pick your drink and add onegai shimasu after so coke onegai shimasu - Pepsi onegai shimasu - Sprite onegai shimasu. There are Japanese equivalents but this rapid lesson is already long enough as it is.[br][br]Now the clerk will say "gochuumon wa ijou de yoroshikatta deshou ka?" And your mind just exploded by how complicated this is. Don't fret, they're just asking if you're done with your order. Just nod and say "hai". [br][br]If they're cool they will confirm your order and tell you the cost. Give them the money and follow their lead. IF they point with their palm and tell you to wait somewhere for your order like "achira no kauntaa de omachi kudasai", go wait there for your order. If you hear the word bangou in whatever they are saying they are likely saying they will call your number when it's ready dekiagarimashitara bangou de oyobi itashimasu." So at that point you wait for your number to be called, your number is on the receipt. But sometimes they don't give you a number on the receipt but instead give you a number to take with you, so take that number and find your table and wait there.[br][br][b](Continued in the next post)[/b][br]
OG Jappleng
3,418 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart
//Ogjappleng
Posted 2921 days ago... Menu Button
[b](continuing...)[/b][br][br]Whew! I had ran out of room~ [br][br]Okay so now you have your food and you're eating. What do you do in the end? Do you throw your trash out and put your tray somewhere? Well, maybe but probably not. Most likely you just leave the tray there and let them take care of your trash as they're paid to do so [b](I don't get the American mentality of doing the duty of the employee)[/b] but anyway maybe I've always been wrong, if there are trash bins all over you can throw away your food if you like I guess. When you do return the tray they will thank you though. Some places ask that you do but if you're not sure you can always ask by saying "torei wa doushitara ii desu ka?" and I'm sure you can guess that torei means "Tray".[br][br]There you have it, some quick survival techniques for the emergency "I'm in Japan and need a quick guide to order food in Japanese or to buy stuff". It's not a lesson that I'm particularly proud of writing because there's a lot of memorization and if you've been following my lessons in the JPLearn! course you would know how much I value a strong foundation, but these tips can get you out of a pinch. Hopefully you're not already in Japan looking it up real quick because if you are, good luck and tell me how it went! hahaha![br][br]By the way, don't mix the words torei and toire, one means tray and the other means toilet. If you ask where the trays are instead of the toilet, you'll be left confused and if you ask them what to do with the toilet instead of the tray, they'll be the ones confused.[br][br]Good luck!! :D[br][br]Edit: I was re-reading this and when I came across the word "tray" i remembered that I forgot a step but don't have room to write it in the previous post. When you do pay for your meal, look to see if there's a money tray. You would place your money in that tray rather than giving it to the cashier. If there's a tray make sure you do it that way! It's super impolite to do otherwise, and if you do hand money to the cashier because there's no tray, do so with both hands. Whenever you give something to anyone, use both hands holding onto the object / money / whatever. [br]
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Use the form below to reply this thread
//Guest
Characters: 0 / 60,000