Jappleng Logo
Unleash the Full Experience – Login or Register Now!
Join us and get access to:
  • Anime/Manga Lineups & Tracker
  • Japanese Culture Lessons
  • Forums, Social Network & Chat
  • Clubs & Study Groups
  • Vocabulary Builder & Daily Login Rewards
  • Friend Finder & Pen-Pals
  • Games & Digital Pets (Yokai)
  • And much more!
Let's get you started – Register a Free Account!
Type this in the box below:
I am 13 years old or over and have read and agreed to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Complete Registration
Thank you for your support!
Announcement
March 14 - Daily Login Rewards: 10k + 10k Event! Thank you everyone!
[Read More]
Username
Password
Cancel
Login
Progress
Market
Friends
Night and Day
Settings
Your Avatar
J-Spot Social Network
Fanclubs & Study Groups
Find New Friends / Pen-Pal
J-Coins
Tokens
Coins
Mochi
Lv.
--:--
Guest // Guest
Available
Want2Chat
Away
Busy / DND
Invisible
Jump to Section
JPLearn!
Japan Life!
Jappleng Dictionary
Connect With Others
IMChat!
Forum Society
JSpot Social Network
Club Jappleng
Friend Match
Have Fun!
Arcades
Sticker Collection
Market Unlock
Achievements
Notifications
View All [+]
Fetching list...
Calendar
Add Entry [+]
<<May 2024>>
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Your Avatar
--:--
XP 0 / 50
Friends
Now loading...
Must be logged-in to use this
Settings
Personalization and settings
Arrow
Achievements
Win More Achievements!
Arrow
My Stats
View My Stats
Arrow
Login
Register or Login Here!
Arrow
Image Title
Image Description
Submit
Your image was succesfully uploaded and now we ask that you provide both an image title and description since this will be indexed in your gallery and/or the club this is posted in. Ignoring this step will cancel the upload process. If you delete the image from the editor, it will still remain in your image gallery.
need help about kansai-ben - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
need help about kansai-ben - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Cover image
Loading Content...
Close
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
need help about kansai-ben
(This is the thread's starting post)
pea_nattsu
0 🗊
1 🖒
View Card
pea_nattsu need help about kansai-ben
//pea_nattsu
Posted 3167 days ago... Menu Button
guys, I know my japanese isn't that good..[br]but I'd love to learn kansai-ben..[br][br]can you show me the words of it?[br]like:nandeyanen,honma ni,honmayan,[br]omoroi, [br]kamahenyo.. etc[br][br]with the meaning..[br]and with the writing system to..  ^^[br][br]
OG Jappleng
3,418 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart
//Ogjappleng
Posted 3167 days ago... Menu Button
For those of you who don't know, [color=#3289c7]Kansai ben 関西弁[/color] means the Kansai dialect and there are many, many, many dialects in Japan. There are 7 big dialects, and I believe Kansai is the second biggest one next to [color=#3289c7]Tokyo ben[/color]. Tokyo ben is the most popular and is considered the standard dialect ([color=#3289c7]Hyojungo[/color]).[br][br]Even if you stay in Tokyo, you'll encounter a lot of people talking in a Kansai dialect. In fact, you'll most likely see it most in pop culture such as in jpop, anime, drama, and movies as it's popular to include other dialects in entertainment. So if you didn't know you heard it before, you most likely did. ;)[br][br]What does a dialect mean, is it much different than the hyojungo (aka Tokyo dialect)? Well, some can be, but Kansai is close enough to just have an accent change, some (few) wording changes, and grammar changes. It's not much in the sense that you would need to learn a whole new language like some dialects around the world. It's close enough so that you can learn the dialect if you know Tokyo ben very well since you will understand the context.[br][br][color=#3289c7]Nandeyanen 何でやねん[/color] pretty much means "What the hell?", I made a post about this in the old forums and it's a fun word to use. You may hear anime characters use this from time to time.[br][br] Honma ni 本間に is an adverb that kind of means "seriously" or "truly". "I'm seriously scared right now" for example.[br][br]As you can see, Kansai can seem pretty rude or informal and that's what a lot of drama tends to reflect upon when they make their characters talk that way. It's like a Californian listening to a Texan or a Texan listening to someone from Jersey. It's the same English but with its own set of way to say things, sometimes you can understand through context but sometimes you can't, like Jersey, what the heck is a muff cabbage?[br][br]Here's another example on how Kansai ben changes grammar, you know the copula da [color=#3289c7]だ[/color]? They use ya [color=#3289c7]や[/color] instead. If you were to say Suki da yo in hyokungo, you would say suki ya de in kansai. Your mind just blew up, I know...[br][br]If you want to express your opinion or ask the listener for an agreement, you could also use the suffix [color=#3289c7]やん (yan)[/color], and many people use this a lot while speaking. If you were to say "isn't it cute?" it would be [color=#3289c7]kawaiiyan かわいいやん[/color].[br][br]The list goes on and on and on, but I hope that this micro-lesson was helpful. Jappleng is just getting started which means that it may be months at least before there are lessons specifically tailored for different dialects ([i]although people are more than welcome to write them since Jappleng is non-profit[/i]). [br][br]Thank you for posting and I hope to see you around a lot more! :)[br]
ShonenStar
0 🗊
4 🖒
View Card
ShonenStar
//ShonenStar
Posted 3165 days ago... Menu Button
I didn't know there were different dialects in japan. i learned something new today
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Use the form below to reply this thread
//Guest
Characters: 0 / 60,000