Jappleng Logo
Unleash the Full Experience – Login or Register Now!
Join us and get access to:
  • Anime/Manga Lineups & Tracker
  • Japanese Culture Lessons
  • Forums, Social Network & Chat
  • Clubs & Study Groups
  • Vocabulary Builder & Daily Login Rewards
  • Friend Finder & Pen-Pals
  • Games & Digital Pets (Yokai)
  • And much more!
Let's get you started – Register a Free Account!
Type this in the box below:
I am 13 years old or over and have read and agreed to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Complete Registration
Thank you for your support!
Announcement
March 14 - Daily Login Rewards: 10k + 10k Event! Thank you everyone!
[Read More]
Username
Password
Cancel
Login
Progress
Market
Friends
Night and Day
Settings
Your Avatar
J-Spot Social Network
Fanclubs & Study Groups
Find New Friends / Pen-Pal
J-Coins
Tokens
Coins
Mochi
Lv.
--:--
Guest // Guest
Available
Want2Chat
Away
Busy / DND
Invisible
Jump to Section
JPLearn!
Japan Life!
Jappleng Dictionary
Connect With Others
IMChat!
Forum Society
JSpot Social Network
Club Jappleng
Friend Match
Have Fun!
Arcades
Sticker Collection
Market Unlock
Achievements
Notifications
View All [+]
Fetching list...
Calendar
Add Entry [+]
<<May 2024>>
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Your Avatar
--:--
XP 0 / 50
Friends
Now loading...
Must be logged-in to use this
Settings
Personalization and settings
Arrow
Achievements
Win More Achievements!
Arrow
My Stats
View My Stats
Arrow
Login
Register or Login Here!
Arrow
Image Title
Image Description
Submit
Your image was succesfully uploaded and now we ask that you provide both an image title and description since this will be indexed in your gallery and/or the club this is posted in. Ignoring this step will cancel the upload process. If you delete the image from the editor, it will still remain in your image gallery.
Learn Japanese fluently within a few months or a year? Yes! - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Learn Japanese fluently within a few months or a year? Yes! - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Cover image
Loading Content...
Close
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Learn Japanese fluently within a few months or a year? Yes!
(This is the thread's starting post)
OG Jappleng
3,420 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart Learn Japanese fluently within a few months or a year? Yes!
//Ogjappleng
Posted 1966 days ago... Menu Button
I've written about this many times before around the site including in the JPLearn! program but how is it possible to learn Japanese fluently within a few months to a year?

BECOME RAINMAN

Just kidding, although becoming rainman wouldn't hurt. Let me explain how...

#1. You need a good, solid foundation.
If you spend your time memorizing phrases, you are wasting your time. A lot of books will teach you how to "speak" Japanese by memorizing a bunch of phrases. That's stupid! It's fine if you're a tourist trying to get around but YOU want to learn how to be fluent in Japanese and efficiently.

FOUNDATION, FOUNDATION, FOUNDATION

Study how phrases are formulated, know your particles and figure out how you can mix and match things. That way when you talk to someone in Japanese, you'll be able to generate phrases that aren't textbook Japanese but your own and that is REAL Japanese.

You should also know how to ask "something that is like this" because when you practice, you'll sometimes not remember what a word is, and by defining it, your friend or listener can help you remember. Synonyms are great!

#2 Vocabulary, a lot of it
How many English words do you know? 10,000? Maybe more? It's a lot and there are over 1million English words which is a ridiculous amount. But do you use a million words? No. Do you use 10,000 words? No. But you use a set amount of words every day and probably not more than 1000 or 2000.

Japanese is the same, you just need maybe a thousand or two words to know and you can get by like you're a fluent Japanese speaker. Study 5-10 words per day, review words every other day and make sure you retain these words with practice. It's technically not difficult to memorize 50 words per day but you need quite a bit of time for that and most of us have work or school. Set a realistic goal but be consistent and committed to it.

10 (words) x 30 (days) x 6 (months) = 1,800 words.

That's about how many Japanese words you need to use on a day-to-day basis anyway. Set it to 5 words per day for a full year and you're ready!

#3 Get a study partner and/or tutor!
Jappleng is setup so that you can find study partners and soon, tutors. Find one! Statistically speaking, you won't get passed a month without one. You can get by without a tutor but you can't get by without a study partner or study group.

Why? Because you need people to help you stay motivated, on track, and to practice with. If you're behind then you'll have to catch up to stay with your study group. If you practice with your friends, you will learn much more rapidly and you'll have real practice instead of just theoretical.

#4 Set reasonable goals and make it happen
You don't need to learn Japanese fluently in six months or a year, but let's say you do because you're going there to work. Make a plan of action, you know when you are leaving and you know where to get your lessons etc... Set an amount of words to study, set a practice schedules for yourself, and for with your study group.

Immerse yourself as much as you can, and don't get discouraged if you miss a day, just try your best to catch up as much as you can. You don't have to double up the next day, and if you try to convince yourself "well, I'll do it tomorrow and double up" it won't end well. Trust me, I know.

#5 Come to Jappleng every day and do something.
You can study something or you can post something somewhere like a practice phrase or paragraph of the day on your J-Spot profile. This will help you keep a habit of practice and perhaps you will be exposed to more people in your level range wanting to practice with you.

#6 You can technically do it all in Japan from scratch
There's no better way to learn than being forced to learn in a homogeneous nation with barely any English speakers. It would be stressful but you'll become fluent within the first year guaranteed, assuming you survive. Many people have done this but if you're in a rush and worry you won't survive without enough Japanese, well guess what? Study as much as you can while you're not yet abroad but don't stress about it too much. Your natural survival instincts will kick in and you will naturally learn the language. You did it before as a baby, remember? Of course you don't! But the result is clear.

I need to go but if you need more tips, please let me know.
wanwanwan
83 🗊
73 🖒
View Card
wanwanwanGakusei
//wanwanwan
Posted 1945 days ago... Menu Button

Nice post! I feel motivated to study again!!

Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Use the form below to reply this thread
//Guest
Characters: 0 / 60,000