Jappleng Logo
Unleash the Full Experience – Login or Register Now!
Join us and get access to:
  • Anime/Manga Lineups & Tracker
  • Japanese Culture Lessons
  • Forums, Social Network & Chat
  • Clubs & Study Groups
  • Vocabulary Builder & Daily Login Rewards
  • Friend Finder & Pen-Pals
  • Games & Digital Pets (Yokai)
  • And much more!
Let's get you started – Register a Free Account!
Type this in the box below:
I am 13 years old or over and have read and agreed to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Complete Registration
Thank you for your support!
Announcement
March 14 - Daily Login Rewards: 10k + 10k Event! Thank you everyone!
[Read More]
Username
Password
Cancel
Login
Progress
Market
Friends
Night and Day
Settings
Your Avatar
J-Spot Social Network
Fanclubs & Study Groups
Find New Friends / Pen-Pal
J-Coins
Tokens
Coins
Mochi
Lv.
--:--
Guest // Guest
Available
Want2Chat
Away
Busy / DND
Invisible
Jump to Section
JPLearn!
Japan Life!
Jappleng Dictionary
Connect With Others
IMChat!
Forum Society
JSpot Social Network
Club Jappleng
Friend Match
Have Fun!
Arcades
Sticker Collection
Market Unlock
Achievements
Notifications
View All [+]
Fetching list...
Calendar
Add Entry [+]
<<May 2024>>
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Your Avatar
--:--
XP 0 / 50
Friends
Now loading...
Must be logged-in to use this
Settings
Personalization and settings
Arrow
Achievements
Win More Achievements!
Arrow
My Stats
View My Stats
Arrow
Login
Register or Login Here!
Arrow
Image Title
Image Description
Submit
Your image was succesfully uploaded and now we ask that you provide both an image title and description since this will be indexed in your gallery and/or the club this is posted in. Ignoring this step will cancel the upload process. If you delete the image from the editor, it will still remain in your image gallery.
Jappleng 7.0 and why it was important – Letter to the Community - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Jappleng 7.0 and why it was important – Letter to the Community - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Cover image
Loading Content...
Close
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Jappleng 7.0 and why it was important – Letter to the Community
(This is the thread's starting post)
OG Jappleng
3,411 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart Jappleng 7.0 and why it was important – Letter to the Community
//Ogjappleng
Posted 830 days ago... Menu Button
Sorry for the long post but td;dr: Jappleng has a long history of being a passion project and 7.0 is a huge improvement over the current edition (as of 2/2/2022). I hope that people will love what is to come and there’s a lot of new features on the way too. Community building and new content are the next big thing once 7.0 launches in a few days.

Greetings everyone!

For 15 years I have had a dream, and that dream was to develop a Japanese-centric website that would permit users around the world to engage in discussions about the Japanese language, culture and other Asian topics. This dream extended further into wanting to develop a service that permitted them not only a place for discussion, but also have the option to learn the Japanese language from beginning to end, learn about the Japanese culture, explore Japan’s latest trends, create and join clubs and be able to play and get involved in various fun things in relation to Japan.

How exciting of an idea was this? Unfortunately, I did not have the talent to achieve this on my own and asking others to help was a fruitless effort as the only volunteers would be moderators. It was at that moment that I decided to learn how to do everything necessary to make Jappleng possible and it jumpstarted my career as a full-stack developer.

The various builds of Jappleng

Jappleng began as a simple blog about Japan and evolved into a blog and forum. Eventually I added some functionality to news and education, but it was still very limited, and the code was clunky at best. Over the years I was rebuilding the project with what I had learned, and it eventually have seen many iterations.

Jappleng was never a full-time job, it’s a passion project and I have been on hiatus quite a few times. Even more recently in 2021 I had spent many months on hiatus because this project is stressful and difficult on my own. At its peak in an earlier build with a different database, there was over 40,000 unique visitors per day around 2007-2008 versus the 200 or so of today. This was when I had moved and had no time to put into the site or funding. At the time I was spending around $200 a month for Jappleng on a $500/mo. Salary working full-time at a startup. It was rough and the bills piled up over time. I had to shut the doors for a while and eventually resumed at just $80/mo. With few people coming to the site around 2012.

I had moved overseas in 2012 or 2013 and worked on the 2015 build of Jappleng which unfortunately did not succeed. I had rebuilt the entire website from scratch but by the time I had completed it, mobile phones were all the rage and people demanded mobile support and functionality. Web development at the time was changing every few months but that isn’t the case anymore.

A few revisions later, 6.0~ 6.45 had released and it is what you are seeing as of today, February 2, 2022. But many people have mentioned that the design was dated, the site is broken, incomplete and has issues with mobile. I wasn’t going to remake the website but in September of 2021 I had come up with a solution to fix all of it. That solution was 7.0, the 7th edition of project Jappleng.

The solutions

Jappleng 7.0 is important as the design has been modernized, the resolution supports 4k and most resolutions underneath it. The major bugs have been fixed and a lot of the minor bugs follow suit. The issues of understanding what is Jappleng and what it can do for people is better understood with the new design and the introduction of the Dashboard system. The Dashboard system is a pop-up that navigates like a really nice app. Various features are embedded within the dashboard such as the new IMChat.

The new IMChat is entirely remade from scratch. It is much, much more efficient, it hosts all the features you would want in a chat app for the J-Community and it’s just so nice to use. Mobile users will rejoice because the awful chat system that currently exists will be replaced with something much, much better.

• J-Spot has been significantly improved in every manner and I can say the same for Clubs, the forums, Education, Search system and everything else found around Jappleng.
  • Dozens of new features have been added, and a lot of new unlockables will be added to the Jappleng Market. (Post to earn J-Coins!)
  • Features like the vocabulary tracker has been enhanced and it will be possible to manage your vocabulary in greater detail than the bare-bone function that exists today.
  • All-in-all, Jappleng 7.0 is just a different beast and I’m really excited to bring out.

The future

There will be no more revisions for Jappleng, it is where I want it to be or at least it will be in the next few days. It will provide people a place to convene, have fun, learn about Japan and it will give me and other people who may have interest in writing lessons and other content to do it with ease.

This doesn’t mean that new sections, features or fixes won’t be implemented, in fact I have a good idea on what will come next as features and section. But before that, a community needs to be established and quality content needs to be added such as new lessons.

Jappleng 7.0 is future-proof for the next 5 years at least, and I hope that you will all find enjoyment in this passion project with me.

Use the form below to reply this thread
//Guest
Characters: 0 / 60,000