Learn Japanese online for free at Jappleng University
Navigate to the Home PageWhat's happening now in Japan, news submitted by our membersLearn Japanese through our many online servicesLearn all about the Japanese cultureEducational videos about Japan and the Japanese languageBefore going to Japan, get informed on what you can do there.Be part of the fastest growing Japanese-centric communityRegister today, it's fast, free and easy!
Try Jappleng Social Network
Respond to this Post
Thread Title : How to use stereo-mix and a usb microphone
< PREVIOUS PAGE | NEXT PAGE >
Ogjappleng
MY J·SPOT!
MY J·BLOG
Not Created
PERSONAL MESSAGE:
Jappleng has recently just released and can be slightly buggy but we're 100% free and have an amazing community! Please take the time to register if you haven't and add as many friends as you like. We're also RP-friendly here.
J·Points: 35,049
This post was made on 05:31am (Jul 24th).
So, I ended up accidentally breaking the control unit for my speakers and the speakers by themselves barely make sound so I'm stuck using headphones. Well, this is annoying since I like to talk and play things from my computer (long distance marriages do that) and this becomes problematic when you don't have speakers. So the solution?

Stream audio from your computer, and your microphone at the same time.

The process is simple if you find the information but sometimes that information is not readily available but I will help you do just that if you need to know.

Step 1: This is for Windows, and I'm using Windows 7 but supposedly it works with XP and above.
Step 2: Know whether your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit may be necessary. (Control Panel > System should show this)
Step 3: Right click on the audio icon in the task bar (next to the clock) and click on recording devices.
Step 4: Look around for Stereo Mix. If you don't have it...
Step 4.1: Right click in the blank space inside the window and check "Show Disable Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
Step 4.2: If it's not there, you will need to download the Realtek Audio codec from CNET. Go to CNET and download the driver there. You will need to get either 32-bit or 64-bit. After installing the driver, you may not need to reboot but if you want you can.
Step 4.3: If it's still not there, then your driver may be either out of date or your hardware doesn't support it, sorry.

Step 5: Right click on Stereo Mix and click on PROPERTIES.
Step 6: Click on the Listen Tab
Step 7: Check [X] Listen to this Device
Step 8: Select something besides your default audio device. For me, I selected the Realtek Digital Output since I don't use digital audio (fiber optics). Click OK.
Step 9: Now, inside the Recording tab, right-click on your microphone and go to properties.
Step 10: Click on the Listen tab and check [X] Listen to this device
Step 11: I kept mine at Default Playback Device.

Now at this point you should be able to hear yourself typing, coughing, talking etc through your speakers or headphones. You'll need to adjust the audio settings some more to your liking such as voice cancellation or something.

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A PROBLEM:
Play around with Step 6 all the way down to Step 11. Your settings might not be the same as mine, but there's usually only 3 options so playing with them only has a few possible combinations to go with.

I DON'T USE USB FOR MY MIC:
That's okay, that just means you can skip a step. If you don't use USB for your microphone, then you might be able to just skip Step 9 and above.

WHAT IF NONE OF THIS DOESN'T WORK?
You could try and experiment with a double-male 3mm cable that goes from your line-out to your mic-in if your computer supports this. I tried this before with Windows 7 but it doesn't seem to work natively unless you install stereo-mix. Windows XP if I remember correctly supports this without needing to install anything extra.

WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH THIS?
- Stream whatever sound that comes out of your computer and record it directly onto your computer.
- Record yourself playing a game or reviewing something on the spot.
- Stream video and audio to whomever (This can be illegal depending on the laws of your country and the content you're streaming)
- Collaborative work between you and your colleagues.

So there are many reasons why you would want to do this, and now you know and knowing is half the battle, the other half is getting Windows to cooperate. But if you follow these instructions step-by-step, you should have no problem doing this. I hope this is beneficial to others.
Respond to this Post
· Page 1 of 1
PREVIOUS PAGE | NEXT PAGE
Copyright © 2015, Jappleng University | Copyright Notice | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use