Jappleng Logo
Unleash the Full Experience – Login or Register Now!
Join us and get access to:
  • Anime/Manga Lineups & Tracker
  • Japanese Culture Lessons
  • Forums, Social Network & Chat
  • Clubs & Study Groups
  • Vocabulary Builder & Daily Login Rewards
  • Friend Finder & Pen-Pals
  • Games & Digital Pets (Yokai)
  • And much more!
Let's get you started – Register a Free Account!
Type this in the box below:
I am 13 years old or over and have read and agreed to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Complete Registration
Thank you for your support!
Announcement
March 14 - Daily Login Rewards: 10k + 10k Event! Thank you everyone!
[Read More]
Username
Password
Cancel
Login
Progress
Market
Friends
Night and Day
Settings
Your Avatar
J-Spot Social Network
Fanclubs & Study Groups
Find New Friends / Pen-Pal
J-Coins
Tokens
Coins
Mochi
Lv.
--:--
Guest // Guest
Available
Want2Chat
Away
Busy / DND
Invisible
Jump to Section
JPLearn!
Japan Life!
Jappleng Dictionary
Connect With Others
IMChat!
Forum Society
JSpot Social Network
Club Jappleng
Friend Match
Have Fun!
Arcades
Sticker Collection
Market Unlock
Achievements
Notifications
View All [+]
Fetching list...
Calendar
Add Entry [+]
<<March 2024>>
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Your Avatar
--:--
XP 0 / 50
Friends
Now loading...
Must be logged-in to use this
Settings
Personalization and settings
Arrow
Achievements
Win More Achievements!
Arrow
My Stats
View My Stats
Arrow
Login
Register or Login Here!
Arrow
Image Title
Image Description
Submit
Your image was succesfully uploaded and now we ask that you provide both an image title and description since this will be indexed in your gallery and/or the club this is posted in. Ignoring this step will cancel the upload process. If you delete the image from the editor, it will still remain in your image gallery.
November 6 - Big update, new search feature is here! - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
November 6 - Big update, new search feature is here! - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Cover image
Loading Content...
Close
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
November 6 - Big update, new search feature is here!
(This is the thread's starting post)
OG Jappleng
3,392 🗊
880 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart November 6 - Big update, new search feature is here!
//Ogjappleng
Posted 1238 days ago... Menu Button
Oh yes, this is an exciting day! I present to you what I've been working on all week. https://www.jappleng.com/search">The Jappleng Search.

It supports a lot of nice features and more to come. The more people use it, the smarter it will get and content will become more relevant. So many things have been added so let me explain...

1. There is no need to search for @user or #tag. This is a search engine made from scratch and it searches through all the text throughout the site to make the searches possible.

2. You can search for content in the following sections: https://www.jappleng.com/education">Education, News, Club Forums (All of Club data on next update), https://www.jappleng.com/forums">Main Forums, Images and Albums, Student profiles.

3. Links to the Friend finder and the Jappleng Dictionary is available from there.

4. If image results are found while searching regularly, it will display a few images that it found as a preview, and you can continue to the image search if that's what you like.

5. Image Search function is great! It lets you search through all the images hosted on Jappleng given the permissions are set to public by the uploader. Any information you add to the title, description, filename and url is indexed.

6. Search results are sorted by relevancy, and this score will change over time like any major search engines. This means that it will only get better starting today.

7. There is Safe Search! Yes, there are 3 modes to safe search. If you keep it on, images / posts / text that are NSFW will not appear in the search results. If you you toggle it to moderate, you will see NSFW posts so long as they are not images. Basically it blocks swearing. There are over 200 swears and counting! The last mode, if you're brave... You can disable safe search entirely and browse through the results unfiltered.

Wait, what if you have Parental Controls turned on? Don't worry! You will be told that you cannot see the mature content because the Parental Controls are set in your Settings. This is to avoid people sharing links with Safe-search tuned off and offend people. Additionally, it is to prevent seeing something offensive if you don't like it or if your account is hosted by a parent.

Lastly, If you disable safe search, you will not see NSFW images in the [All] tab of the search results. Instead, the images will be blurred. You can see the unfiltered content by searching through the [Images] tab.

8. You can see just how big Jappleng is with this search. I have yet to not find content based on the keywords that I have used. So.. Wow! Pretty enormous! In fact, as of writing this... The index is at 94,603 unique terms (4 characters or greater) spanning over 8,137 pages. I have removed indexing of legacy forum posts for both the Sekai forums and the original forums. This would have yielded irrelevant results and increase the database size tremendously since there are tens of thousands of legacy posts.

9. Please note that there is no pagination system just yet. This is next on the list. So you can only see a maximum of 25 results. Sorry for the inconvenience but this search system took a lot longer than I had expected it to. I also created a big back-end admin panel for this with lots of scripts / A.I. stuff. It's crazy!

10. The list of upcoming features:
  • Ability to index everything inside the clubs
  • Ability to index everything on J-Spot
  • Ability to choose where to find results from (ie: Education section only)
  • Pagination System so that you can see more than 25 results
  • Continue work on making the search engine better
  • Search suggestions
  • Automated search indexing instead of me clicking on a button
  • Inclusion of Jappleng dictionary definitions if the term is found in the dictionary and perhaps other inclusions as time goes by like understanding phraes like "how do I say x in japanese?"

Here is the full update report!
November 6 Updates

[New Unlockables]
  • ID Cover: The Witch and the Skeleton

[General]
  • Word-based maturity filter has been created with over 200 words. This also automatically filters images that have NSFW words but did not flag the image as NSFW. In the future, these images will automatically be reported to the moderators for review.

Note: Only English and Japanese is supported, please help us grow our foreign word check on discord.

[Jappleng Admin Search]
  • I created an admin panel to do my search related tasks, it's very comprehensive and includes scripts, A.I, tasks, analytics, a console and so forth.
  • All scripts have been updated to the point that they correctly index every page now

[Jappleng Search]
  • Search weights are now calculated, meaning search results are relevant rather than random
  • Resolved issue where users were not indexed
  • Resolved issue where News items were not properly indexed
  • Search database system has been optimized for better performance
  • Resolved issue where there was a critical error on search pages
  • Redesigned the Search page, it looks smooth
  • Added new features including:
  • + Image Search
  • + Friend Finder
  • + Jappleng Dictionary
  • + Search by Category
  • + Search settings include:
  • + Parental Controls (3 levels: Safe Search On, Moderate, Off)
  • + Searches now include images at the top of the search if it finds any images
  • User Albums are now indexed if permission is granted to (All)
  • Club Albums are now indexed if permission is granted to (All)
  • Search Suggestions have been added, please be patient for suggestion population, the way I designed the A.I. requires trends.
  • Word limit is now set to 8 from 3, max total chraracter remains the same
  • Made significant optimization in the indexing of keywords
  • Search suggestion system (foundation) has been uploaded
  • Search engine has been upgraded so that it can understand search term relevancy
  • Search results understand "Safe search" features
  • Popup menu for Safe search Added under Settings
  • All, Images, Friend Finder, Dictionary, Settings tab have been added
  • Image search is fully featured
  • Image preview search during All search is possible
  • If NSFW content is discovered and Safe Mode is off, blurred images will appear during the preview search
  • Safe search cannot be turned off unless the parental control settings is set, a warning dialog prompts the user of this if they try to disable the safe search and lack permission
  • Resolved all indexing issues including link / title issues and so forth
  • All available sections have been re-indexed
Whew! And these are the updates for the last 2 days, not the whole week! If you want to read what's new for the days before that, you will have to see my previous posts https://www.jappleng.com/forums/66/jappleng-support">here.
Use the form below to reply this thread
//Guest
Characters: 0 / 60,000