Jappleng Logo
Unleash the Full Experience – Login or Register Now!
Join us and get access to:
  • Anime/Manga Lineups & Tracker
  • Japanese Culture Lessons
  • Forums, Social Network & Chat
  • Clubs & Study Groups
  • Vocabulary Builder & Daily Login Rewards
  • Friend Finder & Pen-Pals
  • Games & Digital Pets (Yokai)
  • And much more!
Let's get you started – Register a Free Account!
Type this in the box below:
I am 13 years old or over and have read and agreed to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Complete Registration
Thank you for your support!
Announcement
March 14 - Daily Login Rewards: 10k + 10k Event! Thank you everyone!
[Read More]
Username
Password
Cancel
Login
Progress
Market
Friends
Night and Day
Settings
Your Avatar
J-Spot Social Network
Fanclubs & Study Groups
Find New Friends / Pen-Pal
J-Coins
Tokens
Coins
Mochi
Lv.
--:--
Guest // Guest
Available
Want2Chat
Away
Busy / DND
Invisible
Jump to Section
JPLearn!
Japan Life!
Jappleng Dictionary
Connect With Others
IMChat!
Forum Society
JSpot Social Network
Club Jappleng
Friend Match
Have Fun!
Arcades
Sticker Collection
Market Unlock
Achievements
Notifications
View All [+]
Fetching list...
Calendar
Add Entry [+]
<<April 2024>>
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Your Avatar
--:--
XP 0 / 50
Friends
Now loading...
Must be logged-in to use this
Settings
Personalization and settings
Arrow
Achievements
Win More Achievements!
Arrow
My Stats
View My Stats
Arrow
Login
Register or Login Here!
Arrow
Image Title
Image Description
Submit
Your image was succesfully uploaded and now we ask that you provide both an image title and description since this will be indexed in your gallery and/or the club this is posted in. Ignoring this step will cancel the upload process. If you delete the image from the editor, it will still remain in your image gallery.
March 10 - Updates and progress - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
March 10 - Updates and progress - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Cover image
Loading Content...
Close
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
March 10 - Updates and progress
(This is the thread's starting post)
OG Jappleng
3,403 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart March 10 - Updates and progress
//Ogjappleng
Posted 35 days ago... Menu Button

Good Sunday everyone! (Wait, that means work or school tomorrow AHH!)

Many changes have been made since the last time I have posted (March 4). To summarize, I'm trying to resolve a lot of the foundational issues. The issues fall into these categories.

1. Database optimization: Since Jappleng is growing pretty massively with millions of pages already and a lot of features wrapped around everything, optimizing the database and its queries is pretty critical right now.

2. Fixing site-breaking bugs: There are many of them right now and I'm working diligently on fixing them. Some of them don't make any sense but I'll have to dive deeper to find the root cause.

3. Offloading resources: Since Jappleng has suddenly surged in popularity during its development phase, I need to start moving resources such as images, CSS, Javascript files off on its own server. Think of it in terms of a CDN. Jappleng may be speedy on my computer but I have a pretty powerful computer… But even if I scale up the server (which would be very expensive), there's too much going on for it to make sense. So a separate server needs to be used to render those resources. In addition to this, I'll have to first work on how Jappleng loads every image at once right now. Instead, it should load a few in paralel but also not load everything that you don't see. Otherwise it's too straining.

Once these foundational issues are resolved, then more attention can be put towards adding new features and content.

What has changed since March 4?

1. I optimized the database system for the Entertainment section (Anime & Manga), this made it much faster to load pages. Basically the home page was so poorly optimized that it took a good 20 seconds (and beyond) to load just the database stuff! now it's sub-second to do everything. Big, big, deal!
  2. For some reason there was this huge issue where a lot of database tables lost information about auto-incrementing their ID's. This was a big headache and took all Saturday afternoon to fix. Because of this, there was a period of information that was lost but don't worry, no one lost their account.
  3. While i was fixing auto-incrementing, I went through and optimized the database even further.
  4. Episode count now shows during searches instead of showing just “Episodes:”. 
  5. Fixed the issue when viewing character pages, some of them would just cause a blank page to load. That is fixed but I need to develop a new script that fixes their profile information. For some reason it's really weirdly broken for some of them. I have an idea how to fix it but it'll take time.
  6. Resolved issue where “My Likes” and “My Lists” button stopped working on the Entertainment home page. For some reason it's not working on other pages and I don't know why. I spent hours trying to figure out what is wrong but it makes zero sense.
  7. Updated a couple dozen anime titles; added descriptions, new cover art / poster art, new characters etc… I noticed some manga are “now releasing” as an anime which is weird. I was going to fix that but then noticed the auto-increment thing was broken. So will have to fix that somehow.

What is coming next?

My next priority will be to fix some of the site breaking bugs, like why is it that the javacript loads for pages that isn't home page but doesn't actually do anything? This is a show-stopper since a lot of functionality is suddenly missing. Then I'll continue with the 3 priorities. :)

OG Jappleng
3,403 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart
//Ogjappleng

Also we're at 9,700 unique users in 30 days! When we reach 10,000 I'll release a special daily login event where you can login each day to get a bunch of j-coins and other super rewards!

OG Jappleng
3,403 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart
//Ogjappleng

Looks like the parser on the forum is using the old one, so will have to fix it. I was saying that the daily login rewards announcement has been made and to follow that link. Will be fixing the parser for the next update :)

Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Use the form below to reply this thread
//Guest
Characters: 0 / 60,000