Jappleng Logo
Unleash the Full Experience – Login or Register Now!
Join us and get access to:
  • Anime/Manga Lineups & Tracker
  • Japanese Culture Lessons
  • Forums, Social Network & Chat
  • Clubs & Study Groups
  • Vocabulary Builder & Daily Login Rewards
  • Friend Finder & Pen-Pals
  • Games & Digital Pets (Yokai)
  • And much more!
Let's get you started – Register a Free Account!
Type this in the box below:
I am 13 years old or over and have read and agreed to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Complete Registration
Thank you for your support!
Announcement
March 14 - Daily Login Rewards: 10k + 10k Event! Thank you everyone!
[Read More]
Username
Password
Cancel
Login
Progress
Market
Friends
Night and Day
Settings
Your Avatar
J-Spot Social Network
Fanclubs & Study Groups
Find New Friends / Pen-Pal
J-Coins
Tokens
Coins
Mochi
Lv.
--:--
Guest // Guest
Available
Want2Chat
Away
Busy / DND
Invisible
Jump to Section
JPLearn!
Japan Life!
Jappleng Dictionary
Connect With Others
IMChat!
Forum Society
JSpot Social Network
Club Jappleng
Friend Match
Have Fun!
Arcades
Sticker Collection
Market Unlock
Achievements
Notifications
View All [+]
Fetching list...
Calendar
Add Entry [+]
<<April 2024>>
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Your Avatar
--:--
XP 0 / 50
Friends
Now loading...
Must be logged-in to use this
Settings
Personalization and settings
Arrow
Achievements
Win More Achievements!
Arrow
My Stats
View My Stats
Arrow
Login
Register or Login Here!
Arrow
Image Title
Image Description
Submit
Your image was succesfully uploaded and now we ask that you provide both an image title and description since this will be indexed in your gallery and/or the club this is posted in. Ignoring this step will cancel the upload process. If you delete the image from the editor, it will still remain in your image gallery.
May 19, 2023 - Massive new update: Dictionary version 2 is here! - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
May 19, 2023 - Massive new update: Dictionary version 2 is here! - Jappleng Forums
Forum Discussions about Japan and East Asia
Cover image
Loading Content...
Close
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
May 19, 2023 - Massive new update: Dictionary version 2 is here!
(This is the thread's starting post)
OG Jappleng
3,404 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart May 19, 2023 - Massive new update: Dictionary version 2 is here!
//Ogjappleng
Posted 336 days ago... Menu Button

In preparation for release of Jappleng versions 7.4 which will also include a whole new Japanese entertainment section, the dictionary system has been completely remade from scratch! This was a week-long effort to improve the quality and reliability of the site as a whole.

The previous dictionary system contained less than 10,000 entries. Wow, not terribly great considering there are a lot more words than that in the Japanese language! The previous dictionary system also contained very few entires with sample phrases. Likewise, there was an issue with accuracy of each word as different words would conflict with each other (because there are different meanings for different kanji) and there was no real way to sort through any of it… Until now.

Jappleng dictionary version 2 is enormous and likely the biggest on the internet!

There are over 500,000 entries, yes you heard that right… Over 500k! 

There are over 200,000 sample sentences, soon to be available in different languages. Wow!

We now support Japanese Radicals, Onyomi, Kunyomi, Nanori, english translations, sample sentences for every word, romaji, word type (part of sentence) with all 82 possibilities, stroke count, dictionary number (for official use), rank of frequency of being used in real life (like newspapers), JLPT grade support and lastly student grade support (Grade 1 through 10 where 10 is high school)

But wait, there's more!

I had to say it, but the dictionary system no longer links to the kanji itself (or word) but rather links to the word + type of word. This means there are no longer confusion while clicking on each vocabulary.

And it gets better!

I fixed the title, description, the page layout, the search system is so much better, the “add to vocabulary” module has been retrofitted with the new system and boy is it amazing! There are so many more features and just need to try it. It's a whole different beast!

What's missing?

Okay there's a catch because I'm tired and couldn't add every feature and some features are going to have to wait until after the entertainment section is up and running because let's be honest, that's more important then the minor details here.

• Not all features are functional for the advanced search feature. It's a hit / miss depending on what. 
  • The way pages link together hasn't been completely tested. There may be some errors. Let me know if you encounter any!
  • Pagination does not exist yet. This means you can't just keep searching through the results as much as you'd like. At least not yet.
  • “How do you say…. in japanese” and its japanese equivalent as dedicated pages has not been published yet. This is going to be big because they will be setup as Q&A cards for search engines. This will most likely bring more people to the site and may even be included by asking alexa ;)
  • Hourly / Daily / Weekly / Monthly / Yearly stats on each word and their related modules are not yet available.

Tips on using it!

I found the most interesting way to use the search system is to not type in any words but to search by grade and what part of sentence you would like to search for. What this will do is generate a list for you to study so that you can be on-par with certain grade levels such as Grade 1. You can mix and match but since not all advanced features work yet, it's a hit or miss.

When will the final features be added?

In about 1-2 weeks because next week i will dedicate my time to the Entertainment section. I will most likely add the “How do you say” portion within the next few days regardless.

Where is the dictionary?

You can find the dictionary in multiple ways.

1. Go to the “Learn Japanese” portion of the website and you will find it on the right panel or on mobile in the mobile menu.
  2. You can find it from the dashboard
  3. You can click here to access the new dictionary.

Happy learning!

OG Jappleng
3,404 🗊
884 🖒
View Card
OG Jappleng
GM
Retro Heart
//Ogjappleng
Posted 336 days ago... Menu Button

I would like to also remind everyone that the new Entertainment section is coming next week.

It's going to be massive and we'll start with Anime then add Manga then add J-Pop, K-Pop and more… Over 14,000 Anime titles, thousands of anime staff, voice actors, studios, anime lineup, reviews, personal lists, user favorites, trends, and more!

Be sure to register if you haven't already, you'll just keep loving Jappleng more and more :D

Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Use the form below to reply this thread
//Guest
Characters: 0 / 60,000