Jappleng Logo
Unleash the Full Experience – Login or Register Now!
Join us and get access to:
  • Anime/Manga Lineups & Tracker
  • Japanese Culture Lessons
  • Forums, Social Network & Chat
  • Clubs & Study Groups
  • Vocabulary Builder & Daily Login Rewards
  • Friend Finder & Pen-Pals
  • Games & Digital Pets (Yokai)
  • And much more!
Let's get you started – Register a Free Account!
Type this in the box below:
I am 13 years old or over and have read and agreed to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Complete Registration
Thank you for your support!
Announcement
March 14 - Daily Login Rewards: 10k + 10k Event! Thank you everyone!
[Read More]
Username
Password
Cancel
Login
Progress
Market
Friends
Night and Day
Settings
Your Avatar
J-Spot Social Network
Fanclubs & Study Groups
Find New Friends / Pen-Pal
J-Coins
Tokens
Coins
Mochi
Lv.
--:--
Guest // Guest
Available
Want2Chat
Away
Busy / DND
Invisible
Jump to Section
JPLearn!
Japan Life!
Jappleng Dictionary
Connect With Others
IMChat!
Forum Society
JSpot Social Network
Club Jappleng
Friend Match
Have Fun!
Arcades
Sticker Collection
Market Unlock
Achievements
Notifications
View All [+]
Fetching list...
Calendar
Add Entry [+]
<<April 2024>>
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Your Avatar
--:--
XP 0 / 50
Friends
Now loading...
Must be logged-in to use this
Settings
Personalization and settings
Arrow
Achievements
Win More Achievements!
Arrow
My Stats
View My Stats
Arrow
Login
Register or Login Here!
Arrow
Image Title
Image Description afads
Submit
Your image was succesfully uploaded and now we ask that you provide both an image title and description since this will be indexed in your gallery and/or the club this is posted in. Ignoring this step will cancel the upload process. If you delete the image from the editor, it will still remain in your image gallery.
Koi Enthusiast Club - This is why a good (reputable) aquarium shop is important
Koi Enthusiast Club - This is why a good (reputable) aquarium shop is important
Join Club!
Koi Enthusiast Club Preview
➔ Become a fan of this club!
Menu
Cover image
Loading Content...
Close
Create a New Thread ✎
Reply to this Thread ↲
This is why a good (reputable) aquarium shop is important
OG JapplengRetro Heart
//Ogjappleng
Posted 761 days ago... Menu Button
I bought many fish last year of different varieties. One type of fish is pretty hard to find, they are called corydora. For some reason they sell out fast and it's because of that, that I desperately looked for a different aquarium shop for them.

I already had some but they like to school and you need at least maybe 8 or 10 per corydora breed. This means if you have a Green Aenus you need to have 8 or 10 of them. You can't add an Albino cory into the mix, they like to segregate to be happy. Well, I have 3 breeds and had very few of each breed since it's hard enough to find a single cory.

I bought it at suspicious aquarium shop. I say suspicious because of the user reviews were very mixed. Either people loved it or hated it. I didn't heed their warnings and bought about $60 worth of corys. When I went home and quarantine them, they seemed fine. Then after a few days, they were with everyone else. BUT, here's what happened....

They started to get fungus problems and other sicknesses. I did all I could to help them but one by one they would die. There are only 2 survivors now from the ones I bought from that store and I think about 3 or 4 of the corys from the good store died out of the 16 or so that I had due to the disease that was spreading.

One of the survivors is looking pretty bad, it's been months but it may have had permanent internal and external damage. It's pretty bad really. Meanwhile, the other fish were breeding and having fun overral.

The reviews had people sharing the very same experience that I had. I don't like putting fish too long in medicated water because medication always compromises the immune system and stresses organs (yes this is true for humans too) but you have to pick between getting seriously sick and having worse effects (or maybe even die) or go through medication and put some stress on the organs.

Rude staff, overpriced fish, sick fish that caused almost $100+ in damages, lots of death, plus a lot of time wasted dealing with everything. As a fish keeper you have to become a fish veterinarian, dietitian, breeder, etc... so there is a lot to do already. It's best to watch out for the aquarium reviews than to risk the health of your fish. My favorite skunk cory died. He was always there to greet me :(

Just thought I'd share this experience so you might better understand that not all shops are good. My local petsmart is more reputable lmao!
OG JapplengRetro Heart
//Ogjappleng
Posted 761 days ago... Menu Button
Oh I'd like to point out that fungus problems are usually a sign of poor water quality, however I have a very good filter, and maintained the aquarium perfectly fine with weekly water tests and partial water changes. The other fish that were in there prior had no issues, it was only after I added the ones from the bad aquarium shop. Quarantine should be about 2 weeks for suspicous aquariums that claim they already did it. My go-to place observes all fish regularly and special order fish (which I do) are quarantine for 3 days before they give it to you. Otherwise, they won't sell it because they make sure they are okay before selling. Any tank at the store that might have sick fish have a special sticker stating it won't be sold since it's being treated. THAT is a good aquarium shop. :)
OG JapplengRetro Heart
//Ogjappleng
Posted 759 days ago... Menu Button
Another fish died yesterday while being medicated. He wasn't doing well and was just stiff for about 2 days so I moved him to the hospital aquarium and died the following day. Only 1 corydora from that aquarium shop remains. Remember this when you buy any fish be it cory or koi. tsk tsk tsk... The last one looks healthy as a clam though.
Login to create new thread ✎
Login to Reply ↲
Use the form below to reply this thread
//Guest
Characters: 0 / 60,000